The History of NorthLight Studios
Wendy Whitson and her husband, John Davis, purchased the building in April of 2011. Upon researching they discovered it was originally a tannery (salt-curing) facility, circa 1904. The upstairs space was the office, and has the original tile floor, moldings, doors, and even some painted graphics on a brick wall. The street level was the actual tannery, and hides were loaded directly into rail cars from the rear of the building.
The summer of 2015 was a renovation of the downstairs location, to create new studio space for three additional artists including Cheryl Keefer. The spring of 2018 has brought more changes, and more artists. Bill George & Bernadette St. Pierre-George and John & Sarah Faulkner joined our creative team in April.
The artists keep open hours during the week and on Saturdays, so please stop in. Holiday hours are posted on this site and on our Facebook and Google Business pages.
Many artists in the River Arts District open the doors to their studios. So please come, visit the artists, and have lunch or a beverage at 12 Bones (M-F), Ultra Coffee Bar, All Souls Pizza, White Duck Taco Shop, Nourish & Flourish, Penny Cup Coffee or Fresh West. It makes for a wonderful outing!